East Houston Regional Medical Center is pleased to offer a leading-edge procedure that significantly improves management of asthma symptoms.
Bronchial Thermoplasty, a non-drug procedure recently approved by the FDA, is for asthmatics 18-and-older who:
- Remain symptomatic despite a combined drug therapy of inhaled corticosteroids and long-acting bronchodilators
- Are able to safely undergo a bronchoscopy procedure
While not a cure for asthma or a replacement for medication, Bronchial Thermoplasty has been shown to decrease severe asthma attacks by 32%, reduce emergency room visits for respiratory symptoms by 84%, and significantly improve asthma-related quality of life.
Bronchial Thermoplasty works by delivering controlled heat to the airway walls in the lungs, thus reducing smooth muscle and limiting the muscle’s ability to constrict the airways. As a result, patients breathe better. The outpatient procedure involves the insertion of a catheter through a bronchoscope via the nose or mouth, and is performed over the course of three sessions.
East Houston Regional Medical Center is home to three expertly-trained physicians who provide Bronchial Thermoplasty. To learn more, please call (713) 393-2500.
Additional respiratory therapy services available at East Houston Regional Medical Center include:
- Sleep lab
- Pulmonary Function Testing
- Diffusion capacity (the exchange of gases in the lungs)
- Plethysmography (measurement of air in the lungs)
- Arterial Blood Gas