Call 713-393-2586 for information about our services.
Diabetes is a chronic health condition. People with diabetes must make lifestyle changes and learn self-management skills to avoid or delay the deadly complications that can arise from diabetes. That is why we make education the cornerstone of the Diabetes Management Program at East Houston Regional Medical Center.
This program offers education to people with diabetes, giving them the tools necessary to better control their blood sugar and manage their disease.
More about the diabetes program.
Any adult with Type I, Type II or gestational diabetes can qualify for the program with a referral from their doctor. The referring physician provides information and guidance about the patient’s needs and works closely with the Diabetes Management Program.
Each person referred to the program receives:
- A pre-assessment to assess their individual health needs.
- Education and goal plans designed specifically for that person.
- A follow-up plan and goals for family involvement and behavior change.
- Individual or group classes on nutrition, blood sugar monitoring, medications and exercise.
- A free, monthly support group open to program participants and the public.
Insurance companies know that the more a person knows about diabetes, the better he or she is able to manage the disease. Therefore, most insurance, managed care companies and Medicare will cover program costs.
Wait times are an average and provided for informational purposes only. What does this mean?